Concert Title: Our Waters: Big River to the Pacific
Performance: Saturday, May 12th, 2018, at 7:30 PM (note change from initial announcement)
Venue: Native American Student and Community Center, PSU, 710 SW Jackson St., Portland, OR 97201
Submission Deadline: 11:59 PM PST, Monday, February 12th, 2018 (note change from initial announcement)
Eligibility: All Cascadia members in good standing, except those who had a work performed on “Music from Cascadia’s Frontiers”.
Concert theme: Our waters, with appreciation of all those, especially the Native American tribes, who have shown their determination to protect and defend the health of our rivers. The concert will include Native American storytellers and other performers as well. Big River, the translated Chinook name for the Columbia, is a focus but should in no way be considered a limit.
Instrumentation: There will be no piano!
- Up to two voices
- Up to three percussionists, but no large setups please — the stage area is quite small
- Up to three stringed instruments, any type normally carried by one person
- Up to three woodwinds
Cascadia Composers will pay for up to four performers per work in return for a fee not to exceed $100. Additional performers as listed above may be included at the composer’s expense.
Submission procedure: Anonymous submission. Remove or blank out anything on the score or other submitted media which identifies the composer. Check authorship, copyright notices, logos, program notes, performance notes, and so forth. However, DO include the duration of the work prominently displayed on the score. Scores which don’t meet these requirements by the submission deadline will not be considered.
Composers may submit up to two works, but at most one can be performed. Strong preference will be given to works under 10 minutes.
Submit the following through the submission form on the Cascadia website:
1. Score in PDF format, anonymous but displaying duration.
2. Recording if available (MIDI is OK if none is) in MP3 format. A link may be submitted instead, but note that MP3’s up to 25MB may now be submitted. Make sure nothing in an MP3 player window or the link identifies the composer.
3. Text file in standard format (such as .txt, .doc, .rtf or .pdf), with the title, composer, program notes, bio, and any other information pertaining to the piece which may be of interest. These won’t be accessible to the selection committee. If there’s some aspect of the score or recording you feel needs an additional explanatory note, briefly and anonymously comment in the submission form’s annotation text box. Please do not submit complete program notes in the annotation box.
4. Lyrics permission – If there are lyrics which are not in the public domain, include a text file in a standard format showing you have permission to use them.
Selections will be announced no later than February 9th. Parts for selected works must be
sent by February 16th.
Please contact Jeff Winslow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you and good luck!
Jeff Winslow for Cascadia Composers (chapter of NACUSA)